Monday, October 26, 2015

Vayeira

Genesis 18:1–22:24

D'var Torah By: Rabbi Edwin C. Goldberg for ReformJudaism.org

Hearing the Cries of Mothers and Children


    Pack your loads on my back. / Force me to your destination. / I will go the mile you demand, and even a mile further. / With your guns and your authority / you can force me to do your will, / but never can you take way my freedom, / for that lies deep within my soul / where your bullets and harsh words / can never reach. / No load is as heavy / as submitting to slavery, / and that load I will never bear.

    (Nyein Chan, resident of a refugee camp in Myanmar [Burma])

Mishkan HaNefesh, the new Reform High Holiday prayer book introduced this year, offers some Torah passages that previously were not chanted in most Reform temples on Rosh HaShanah. These include Genesis 21 (part of this week's Torah portion, Vayeira), which also appears in traditional prayer books. This passage is sure to launch a lot of sermons and provoke some controversy. After all, its main subject is the expulsion of Hagar, the Egyptian handmaiden to Sarah and mother to Abraham's son, Ishmael. Ishmael is also expelled. They almost die.

These words from Mother Teresa resonate with this week's text:

Continue reading.

Follow us on   


No comments:

Post a Comment