Monday, February 2, 2015

Yitro

Exodus 18:1–20:23

D'var Torah By Rabbi Peter S. Knobel for ReformJudaism.org

On Rosh HaShanah night we read the following in Gates of Repentance:

    Remember
    The words You spoke in stone and thunder
    The mountain smoked
    And the dismayed multitude
    Stood off, hearing the first time
    The words they could not refuse,
    Fearing the burden and the God that set
    Them in history.
    And there are mountains still. We are the Jews.
    We cannot forget

In my mind's eye I picture the scene at Mount Sinai. I imagine that I am standing at the bottom of the smoking mountain with more than six hundred thousand former slaves hearing the blast of the shofar and experiencing the Presence of God and responding, Naaseh v'nishma, "All that the Eternal has spoken we will faithfully do!" (Exodus 24:7; see also 19:8, 24:3). In the midst of my reverie, I look out at the congregation and I wonder: What is my congregation thinking? Do they feel the awesome power of the moment? Does the ancient experience draw them into the covenantal promise?

Continue reading.

Follow us on   


No comments:

Post a Comment